March is National Nutrition Month and a great time to take a personal assessment on how well you are doing with your daily nutrition needs and goals. Unlike popular opinion, there is no cookie-cutter, one-size fits all approach to dieting and healthy eating. Our bodies are different and require different things. But, with that said, there are some core nutritional benchmarks and categories we should be striving for daily to get essential vitamins and nutrients our bodies and minds need to stay healthy, strong and vital for the length of our lives. Learn more about what you can do to help learn just how healthy you are!
The Power of a Nutritional Assessment
If they aren’t already, make nutritional assessments part of your annual or biannual check-up. The kind of fuel you put in a vehicle affects how it runs, and how long it runs well. Your body is much the same. If you are putting the right kind of fuel in your body, you will get optimum performance.
Failing to get the nutrients you need, can set you up for some real problems like: fatigue, obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, weakened bones, and heart disease. Nutritional assessments gathers information about your food and nutrient intake, lifestyle habits, and medical history. This information can help you know your current nutritional status so you can make the modifications that are necessary.
Areas Nutritional Assessments Focus On
When it comes to health, the more you know about your specific body the better. At Balanced Well-Being Healthcare, we review and evaluate for the following areas as part of our assessment:
- Weight management
- General health and nutrition screenings
- Gluten sensitivities and celiac disease
- Food intolerances and food allergies
- Gastrointestinal conditions including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease/GERD
- Irritable bowel syndrome/IBS
- SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)
- Gas, bloating, and leaky gut symptoms
- Autoimmune diseases
Working with our in-house nutritionist can help you get a jump start on your physical, mental and overall health.
Combating Vitamin Deficiencies
Want to hear a startling statistic? 92 percent of Americans are vitamin deficient. Does that surprise you? Diminishing soil quality, coupled with the rise in quick, processed foods are the main culprits to the problem.
Consider the following numbers from the CDC and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provided by the BioStation:
- 9 out of 10 Americans are deficient in potassium
- 7 out of 10 are deficient in calcium
- 8 out of 10 are deficient in vitamin E
- 50 percent of Americans are deficient in vitamin A, vitamin C, and magnesium
- More 50 percent of the general population is vitamin D deficient, regardless of age
- 90 percent of Americans of color are vitamin D deficient
- Approximately 70 percent of elderly Americans are vitamin D deficient
Vitamin deficiencies can cause health problems and serious issues if they aren’t resolved. Take time this month to find out where you stand with your health–your body will thank you for it!
To learn how you can benefit from a nutritional assessment, call 970-631-8286 today and discover how healthy you are on a biochemical, molecular level. Learn strategies and tips to balance your body physically, mentally and emotionally so you can have what you need for total body wellness.