When you are on a paleo diet, lasagna is one of those things you think you may never taste again. I am here to prove you wrong. PALEO LASAGNA IS DELICIOUS!! This recipe uses Capello’s brand almond flour lasagna noodles, and in my opinion, they taste EVEN BETTER than the real thing. I added in tons of veggies here because veggies add in so many antioxidant benefits as well as fiber, all to keep our bodies, and guts, happy. Kite Hill makes excellent clean cheeses made from almond milk. Their ricotta fits the bill here and tastes delicious.
Kite Hill brand almond cheeses are available at Whole Foods.
Capello’s almond flour pastas are available at King Soopers and Whole Foods.
- 1 box Capello’s Brand paleo lasagna sheets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 whole red bell pepper, diced
- 24 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 4 whole squash (yellow or zucchini), diced
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 packages of Kite Hill brand almond milk ricotta cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground Italian pork sausage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the pork sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a minute, adding extra olive oil as needed. Add diced red peppers and saute for another minute or so. Add squash and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Pour in wine, add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
- Pour in tomatoes. Use hands to squeeze/crush them. Stir to combine and let simmer for 20 minutes or so. Stir in chopped parsley.
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, egg, salt, and pepper.
- To assemble, spread a little of the veggie/sausage tomato sauce in a lasagna pan. Layer four cooked noodles in the pan, slightly overlapping them if necessary. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on the noodles. Spoon a little less than 1/3 of the veggie/sausage sauce mixture over the ricotta mixture.
- Repeat the layering two more times, ending with a large helping of veggies/sausage sauce.
- Bake the lasagna for 20-30 minutes, or until warm and bubbly